Your name appears on Washington University in St. Louis records, communications and official documents. Some documents, including transcripts issued by Washington University, are official documents that should bear a student’s legal name. Students and alumni who have changed their names or need to correct Social Security numbers on their records will need to provide the Office of the Registrar with legal supporting documentation.

Preferred Name

Washington University recognizes that many students prefer to use names other than their legal ones to identify themselves. Any student on the Danforth Campus may choose to identify a preferred first name in addition to their official name of record. Students can add or change their preferred name on WebSTAC.

Required Documentation for Legal Name Changes

Documentation is required for a legal name change in a student’s record.  Please provide one of the following:

  • Current driver’s license
  • Social Security card
  • Passport
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order

Required Documentation for SSN Changes

A change or correction to the Social Security number on a student’s record requires a copy of the student’s Social Security card.

Providing Documents to the Registrar

We recommend documents be submitted to the office using Box (accessible by all current Washington University students, faculty and staff and FERPA-compliant). Do not submit documents via email.

When sharing your required documents please make to include the following on your supporting document: name currently on your student record and your student ID.

Submit your documents here.